Sunday, November 13, 2011

Power

When I think of the word "power", many things come to mind. In fact, there are 32 different definitions for the word in the dictionary! Now that is one incredible word!

Well we had quite the experience with power last night. Hurricane force winds reaching 125 mph hit us suddenly in the middle of the night which resulted in lots of damage. Trees were ripped from the ground, roots and all. And I'm not talking little small trees, I'm talking massive trees that have been standing for decades! Power poles were snapped in two leaving many (including my household) without power for hours. There is a barn at the end of our road that is no longer standing and its rubble can be seen for miles. That's a lot of power!

Fortunately, the only damage that hit home with us was Nick's shop. Part of the roof was ripped off but thankfully, it was not the area that Nick was using so no damage was done to his supplies. However, someone else was using that area and so I am sure they are feeling a little bit differently about the situation today.

Here are a few photos of the aftermath.

Now that's a lot of power, huh? One thing that hit me today though was this. Who gave the wind that power? Our mighty Lord did! He has the power. He has ALL the power! He IS the power! Nothing can compare to Him. So why do we not fear Him more than we do? He is an all powerful God and He should be feared! Why are we so quick to misuse His name and sin against Him when the truth is, he could take us away from this earth if he wanted? We too quickly forget that this God of ours is not just the New Testament God,  but He is the Old Testament God as well. The two are the same!

Fortunately for us, He is also a compassionate God who loves us more than anything. More than we could ever imagine! He spares us time and time again. He spares ME time and time again! Everytime I fall, He is there, waiting to help me back up. He is my provider, my sustainer of life, yet I treat Him as a convenience store God. I act like it is His job to help me through the tough times and then leave me alone once things get better. Wow. I can be so blind.

Why is it sometimes so hard for me to pick up my Bible and read His word? Why do I have to force myself to spend time praying and talking to Him? I need Him so much but I act as if I can make it on my own.

Please pray for me as I work on getting my priorities straight each and every morning. Often times it is a struggle for me. I know that it will look different every day but I want to be dedicated to my Lord as He is dedicated to me!


Let us not forget the true Power.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to receive feedback from my readers!