Sunday, May 22, 2011

Being a Stay-At-Home-Mom

A year ago this week was the last time I taught in my own classroom. I loved my job and was absolutely devastated when I lost it.Nick and I had always hoped I could stay home and raise our children but we didn't think it would happen. First of all, the financial part of it was extremely scary. One salary? YIKES. I also loved my job and could never imagine quitting. It's a good thing God has His own plans!After learning that my 2nd grade teaching position was being cut, I went back to Iowa last May to look for other jobs (with the hopes that we would be moving there). I applied and even went in for an informal interview. However, the day after arriving back in Colorado we discovered that we were going to be having a baby. God's handiwork? I think YES.We were on our way home from our very first ultrasound when I got called back to Iowa to interview for a 3rd grade position. Part of me was thrilled about it and yet another part of me was so very disappointed. This part of me was very unexpected. It was what I wanted, RIGHT?After many hours of discussing the future, my husband and I decided it was best for me to stay home. We did some number crunching and realized we could swing it financially. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made, yet it was also one of the most difficult.
I LOVE being a stay-at-home-mom and I wouldn't change it for the world. I enjoy being able to play with my daughter all day long. I like the fact that when my husband gets stuck at home because of something like weather, I get to spend the day with him. I even enjoy being able to do housework during the day! Of course being a stay-at-home-mom is not always easy. I'm constantly busy and sometimes feel like a chicken with my head cut off but the good definitely outweighs the bad! Do I miss teaching? Of course. But watching my daughter grow up is much more rewarding.
I know there are so many working mothers who would much rather be at home with their children and yet they are not able to be. I was talking with a friend this morning after church and she shared her desires to be able to stay home with her daughter. It made me realize just how much I tend to take it for granted. My husband has been absolutely wonderful throughout this whole situation. He works his tail off so that I can stay home with our baby. I love him so much for that and I really do need to give him more credit.
For those of you who are working mothers. You are amazing. I honestly don't know how you do it. If that's what you love, good for you! If you long to be at home with your kids, I pray that somehow, someday, you can make it work. Either way, I know we have to do what's best for our children no matter what that may look like. I'm just thankful that this is what is currently best for us. I hope it doesn't change anytime soon but, if it does, I will do what the Lord asks of me. :)


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to receive feedback from my readers!