Thursday, May 5, 2011

Amazing Vintage Finds

Long time no post huh? Sorry for the lack of posts recently! Addison and I made a trip to Iowa for Easter and ended up sticking around longer than we expected! It's been great visiting with our family and friends but I am definitely missing my sweet husband! More on that later!

Anyway, today after meeting my family for lunch, I decided to spend some time in town. Here is a little background information about where we are from. I grew up in a small(ish) town in Iowa. It's basically a farming town but it is definitely growing bigger every day. We do have a Wal-Mart and quite a few fast food restaurants but that is basically it as far as major chain businesses are concerned. I had mentioned to my mom earlier this week that I wanted to go antiquing while I was here and she told me about this little shop on our town square.

Seriously? I grew up here and had never heard of it! I have to admit, up until I got married, I had no interest in antiques whatsoever. However, after spending a lot of time with my husband's (and now my) friends, I quickly took an interest in them but haven't been able to invest in them much because of how pricey they can get. So, I decided to head over there to check it out. Boy am I glad I did that! I highly doubt they get much for business because it's a teeny little store with a teeny little sign that you really can't read from the street. I walked in and was instantly in love with the place! The sweet lady greeted me at the door and then left me to peruse through their items. Of course the first thing I did was check out the prices to see if I was getting in over my head. I was shocked.

My eye immediately caught these adorable tin trays. I mean seriously, how cute are they? I picked them up and realized they were being sold in a set of 6. Hmm...what am I going to do with 6 trays? I then looked at the price and discovered all 6 were only $15! After doing my research I quickly discovered that this exact tray is being sold for $8-$12 EACH online! I got all 6 of mine for $15! Of course I decided to take them home. I can't wait to find a place for them!

Then I stumbled across this super cute milk crate with 3 antique bottles in it. I grabbed it and brought it to the counter but saw that it didn't have a price tag on it. I asked the clerk what the price was on it and she said she would take $10 for it! Um...WHAT?!? I have been looking for one of these everywhere so of course that was a no-brainer for me! I have big plans for this crate and I can't wait to share them with you!


Finally, as I was stooped over looking at a vintage suit case I happened to look over in a corner and see this beauty tucked away. I couldn't get a good view of it so I pulled it out and was in shock. It is an antique collapsible egg basket with two real blown Rhea eggs! OH. MY. WORD. It is gorgeous and in fabulous shape! The best part, the entire thing was only $9! A blown Rhea egg alone costs at least $10, not to mention the fact that I see these baskets sell for around $30 on Etsy every day! I am in love. Seriously. This basket is going to fit perfectly in my kitchen! I will have to take a picture as soon as I get home and find a spot for it!

I will definitely be visiting this cute little antique shop more often. There were so many other cool items that I didn't have a chance to check out because of the fact that I was holding Addison while I looked. Not exactly easy to do. I am hoping that I can have my mom watch her sometime so I can stop by there again before we head home to Colorado next week. Maybe I can even get my husband interested in going! :) We will see!

Well, hopefully I will have a chance to post again before we head back. It has been hard to manage an infant and my time while driving back and forth between visits. I couldn't wait to share today's post with you though so I really hope you enjoyed it!





Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Whaaat! I never knew this place existed either. Super cute finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to have some of those strawberry trays! She had a whole bunch of stuff that matched it too like canisters and plates. I think I am going to try to find some. They bring back so many memories. I love your blog by the way. I am new at blogging and would love to make some blog buddies. Check mine out if you are interested.
    www.rbluelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback from my readers!