Sunday, May 15, 2011

Steph's Sunday Share: Baby Washcloth Lollipops

I went to a baby shower this past week and since the parents-to-be are requesting money, I wanted to honor their request. However, I did not want to bring JUST a card because that just seems so boring! :) So, I put together a cheap little gift to go along with the card and money! :) These baby washcloth lollipops were super cheap and easy to make!

Here is what you will need:2 baby washcloths
1 baby spoon
1 cellophane treat bag (you could also use tulle)
ribbon
tape

The mother-to-be is not going to find out what the gender of their baby is so I had to go gender-neutral. Lucky for me, I found these adorable washcloths at our local Ross in a package of 10 for $1.99! What a steal!

Step 1: Start by laying your washcloth face down and begin folding on one edge. I made my folds about 3/4ths of an inch wide.
Continue folding them until they look like this. I used a couple pieces of tape to hold them closed, this is optional though, I just found it to be much easier and faster.
Step 2: Lay the two washcloths next to each other and begin rolling them up together cinnabun style. Make sure that you have the tape sides facing the same direction so you get a good clean look on top.

I found that you may have to roll the inside washcloth once or twice by itself before layering on the second cloth so that it doesn't stick out further than the outside one when you get done rolling. I hope that makes sense.
This is what it should look like all rolled up. I again held it together with tape but you wouldn't necessarily need to do this.
Step 3: Turn the roll over and tape a baby spoon to the back of it.
Step 4: Place the lollipop inside the cellophane bag and tie it shut with a piece of ribbon. My cellophane bags are actually from Stampin' Up!. I believe they are the small bags. I have seen similar bags at Walmart and Target that would probably work but they would probably need to be cut down to a smaller size. Another option would be to wrap a piece of tulle around the lollipop as a wrapper instead of using cellophane bags.
Here is the finished product! Doesn't it really look like a lollipop? My husband even thought it was cute! :)
Of course I had to put them in something cute so I found this cute little bucket at Target in the dollar spot and dressed it up with some foam stickers that I had in my stash.

The mom-to-be absolutely LOVED this gift! A few of the ladies couldn't even tell what the lollipops were made of. One asked me if they were cookies in the shape of lollipops! Haha!

I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial! If you decide to make your own, feel free to share them with me! I would love to see your take on them!

Parties I'm linking to.

48 comments:

  1. I've never seen anything like this and I have been to a ton of baby showers. So, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow super clever! brilliant idea!

    tfs
    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! I will definitely be making these!
    -Sarah from Create Studio
    www.createstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Definitely doing this for the next baby shower I go to! :) Found you through Someday Crafts.
    Angela
    bingecrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea! I had girl ones at a baby shower. I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays tomorrow (Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

    http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I made a cupcake out of onesies and a receiving blanket, but I think this is even cuter! Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute..love it! Found you on Heck Friday's Link...new follower.....!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so going to make these for my next two baby showers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative! I've seen the diaper cakes and this would be great alongside one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! We did sock cupcakes for Mother's Day. I'd love for you to share at Fun For Kids Friday.

    http://smilemonsters.blogspot.com/2011/05/fun-for-kids-friday_19.html

    Jo @ SmileMonsters

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea, I will definitely remember this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT idea! I think it's so cute! I'm pinning this to my Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I am going to be posting a baby day and I will keep this in mind! I love it!! Thanks for linking up at the Sassy Sites Free For All party! When you get a chance, come back by and see what we've done for the American Crafter's competition... and maybe vote for us too! *wink*

    xoxo!
    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're so beautifully done! I spoon is an extra-special (and practical) touch that I've never seen before. Yours are the best baby washcloth lollipops I've ever seen. I definitely feel inspired to make some the next time I have a baby gift to make!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these! I pinned this and I'm also a new follower.
    Thanks for the fantastic tutorial!
    Tal
    www.english.the-crafeteria.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that's so cute! well done. I recently made a baby shower bouquet using washcloths, singlets and bibs if you'd like to have a look!

    http://elegantpaws.blogspot.com/2011/05/crafty-baby-shower-baby-bouquets.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute, I can't wait to make some! Found you from the link up at My Junk Drawer...new follower! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so sweet!
    Would you consider linking up to my "20 minute tuesday" party at this address tomorrow? http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
    It's for projects that: take 20-30 mins and cost less than 10 bucks.
    Great place for people to come and check out quick and inexpensive ideas!
    Thanks for considering!
    Tina
    PS: I'm giving away 20 more button pony tailers! Here's the info:
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/p/may-winners.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous idea, this would be such a wonderful gift, you can always use a TON of washcloths with a new baby! THanks for linking to my first every link party! I am your newest follower!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephanie, This is such an adorable gift idea. The spoon stems are so clever and creative. Too cute! Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this Sunday. Have a wonderful week.
    ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are the sweetest!!! I am featuring them. Thanks for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday!

    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are adorable! I can not wait to make some as gifts! Thanks for sharing, super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute!!! What a great gift idea! I love Ross, you just never know what you will find! :)
    Thanks for sharing the "how to". audrey

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just made these for a baby shower and they turned out great! Thanks for the idea! I'll post about them soon here:
    Createstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! I'll be stealing your idea soon for a shower I am planning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is really cute. And I have a new great-grandson in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's amazing to know that there are many wonderful things that you can do with a couple of baby washcloths :) You can also check out this website to know more about it: http://www.babywashcloths.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks like it would be a great hit at any baby shower. I will definitely have to tell my sister-in-law about it, although knowing her she won't listen to me. Her loss.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so very much for this idea. I found it on pintrest and a link to your site. I have been able to make one based on your instructions that will serve as a bow to my baby present for a dear friend. Thank you soooooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is so cute, i will have to make some

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cute idea. I see Addison has a birthday coming up. Happy 1st Birthday to her. I found your site through Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very cute...I'm always looking for little add on gifts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am making these Sunday!!! I am going to make 1/kid in my sons daycare class- stick it in a bucket filled with small candies for Valentines Day!!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for posting this wonderful idea. I recently made a bunch of these for a baby shower and here is the link to my post about it. They came out great and I included a link to your site since it was such a great tutorial. Thanks again!!
    http://craftinwithyomomma.blogspot.com/2012/02/lollipop-lollipop-oh-lolli-lolli-pop.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so cute. My nieces baby shower is this weekend and I plan on making them for her. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cute idea and I am sure I will use it but is no one else thinking that it is a bit cheeky for the parents to be requesting money? Our son and daughter-in-law debated for a long time whether or not it was rude to ask for money as wedding gifts because they were moving overseas for two years and had no way to store all their gifts. In the end they just let everyone know that they would be going away for an extended period of time and asked for them to consider that fact when purchasing a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just made some pink ones for a shower, I am going to spray paint a mason jar pink and put some little handmade soaps in the bottom! Love the free tutorial, thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Super cute! Have pinned this page and look forward to trying this craft out for the next baby shower I go to!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this! I pint it on my board CLOTH DIAPERING. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for sharing this cute post... I love this..!
    kids plates

    ReplyDelete
  41. Good work! Those DIY washcloth lollipops have colours that are truly pleasant. Thanks for sharing this easy-to-do baby gift.

    ReplyDelete
  42. wondering if this could be done on a larger scale with newborn diapers??

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lovely, thank you for a wonderful idea. Stephany

    ReplyDelete

I always love to receive feedback from my readers!